Sagano and Arashiyama Walking Tour - Japanspecialist
Lose yourself amongst Kyoto’s hidden temples and enchanting bamboo groves.
In the northwestern tip of Kyoto lies the mystical Arashiyama, home to a lush bamboo forest that’s become an icon of Japan. On this tour, you'll enjoy the surroundings of Arashiyama, the peaceful bamboo forest of Sagano, visit the 14th century Tenryu-ji temple, the hidden Jojakko-Ji temple and the famous Togetsu-kyo Bridge. Your tour includes an English-speaking guide and a Japanese style lunch on the Hozu river.
You'll meet the group and tour leader at Miyako Hotel Kyoto Hachijo (Formerly: New Miyako Hotel) and walk to Kyoto Station. On the JR Rapid/local train you leave towards Saga-Arashiyama Station.
Here we visit the Tenryu-ji temple, registered as a UNESCO World Heritage site and is one of the five great Zen temples of Kyoto. Built in 1339 and the temple was a dedication to the emperor of the time, Go-Daigo. Stroll and enjoy the beautiful surrounding gardens that belong to the temple complex.
A walking path nearby takes you through the Sagano Bamboo forest where we enjoy the sunlight falling through the leaves and hear the atmospheric sounds of the wind rustling through the bamboo leaves.
Built towards the end of the 16th century, Jojakko-Ji temple is a Nichiren-style temple nestled in the side of Mr Kokura. It boasts views of Sagano and Kyoto from the Tahoto pagoda.
Next up you'll head to the 250-meter-long Togetsu-kyo Bridge which connects the north and south banks of the Hozu River and is one of the icons of Arashiyama.
We end this tour with a boat trip on the river including a traditional Japanese-style lunch
Tour ends after Lunch at the Yakatabune Boarding Area.
Length: Half day (4 hours)
Visiting places: Tenryu-ji Temple, Jojakko-Ji Temple, Togetsu-kyo Bridge, Hozu River Cruise
Departing from: Kyoto
Price: EUR 120,- (learn more about prices)
- The tour may be cancelled if the minimum number of participants (2) is not achieved 4 days before the scheduled start date.
- Seating is not guaranteed on public transport.
- Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, the order of activities and arrival times may vary.
- The tour will finish at the boat pier and train tickets for the journey between Saga-Arashiyama and Kyoto will be provided.
- Lunch will be Japanese cuisine and there are no alternative or vegetarian options.
- If boarding the boat isn’t possible due to bad weather or high-water levels a refund of JPY 2,000 will be given to each participant.
- Transportation costs
- Admission fees