Tastes of Downtown Osaka - Japanspecialist
Learn all about Osaka's history and experience a local delicacy.
Immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of vibrant Osaka and enjoy a tram ride on Osaka's only tram line. Visit one of Japan's oldest shrines, Sumiyoshi Taisha Grand Shrine, and walk under the symbol of Osaka, the Tsutenkaku Tower. Along the way, you'll have plenty of opportunities to taste Osaka's delicious street food, Kushikatsu (fried meat and vegetables).
This tour starts at Swissotel Nankai Osaka, where you'll meet the tour leader and the group. Please arrive 10 minutes before pick up time in front of the 6F Bell Captain's Desk. From here, you'll walk to Namba station and take the Nankai Line towards Sumiyoshi Taisha Station.
You'll arrive at Sumiyoshi Taisha (also known as Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine), one of Japan's oldest shrines. Every New Year, around 2,000,000 visitors make their way to this site to pray for prosperity and good health. Learn about the shrine's history, and soak up the natural beauty and peaceful spiritual atmosphere of the site.
Next up, it's time to experience old-world, vintage Osaka with a ride on the only tramcar in Osaka, which is over 100 years old. The tram will bring you to Ebisu-cho Station.
Time for lunch in the Shinsekai district. Here you can enjoy kushikatsu, one of Osaka's favourite snacks which is said to have originated right in this very neighbourhood. The dish consists of various deep-fried skewers of meat and vegetables, a delicacy loved throughout the city and beyond.
After lunch, you'll stroll through the scenic neighbourhood that connects to Dobutsuen-mae station before taking the train back to Namba station where the tour ends.
Length: Half day (4 hours)
Visiting places: Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine, Hankai Tramway, Shinsekai district, Kushikatsu lunch
Departing from: Osaka
Price: EUR 70,- (learn more about prices)
- The tour may be cancelled if the minimum number of participants (2) is not achieved 4 days before the scheduled start date.
- This tour can be booked with an English or Chinese-speaking National Government-licenced tour guide.
- This tour uses public transport and seating is not guaranteed.
- 9 sticks of kushikatsu will be served (including beef, pork, squid, lotus root, and aubergine).
- Vegetarian kushikatsu are available for those who don't eat meat or seafood and should be requested on the day.
- Vegan options are not available.
- This is a walking tour so please wear suitable footwear and attire.
- Transportation costs