Nikko in a Day - Japanspecialist
Discover Nikko with this 1-day world heritage tour.
Nikko is a picturesque and otherworldly destination only 150 km from Tokyo. Located between hilly forests, scenic lakes and impressive waterfalls of Nikko National Park, this UNESCO protected area is full of Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples, built by the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu and his servants in the early 1600s.
Nowadays, Nikko is a symbol of beauty and grandeur and is UNESCO World Heritage-recognized. On this tour you'll explore ancient treasures like the Nikko Toshogu Shrine, as well as Lake Chuzenji and Kegon Falls.
You'll meet your guide at Shinjuku Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo Main Tower, 3F Floor, JTB Sunrise Tours Sales Office. Please be there 10 minutes before departure.
During the approximately two and a half hour bus trip, you'll learn about ancient Japanese culture and the rich history of Nikko.
First you'll visit Nikko Toshogu Shrine and learn about the 400 year-long history of the Tokugawa regime. This sacred place is where Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate, is enshrined. Marvel at the traditional beauty of the main hall, as well as the sleeping cat and monkey carvings.
Your guide will explain the history of the area, its importance in Japanese culture and the purpose behind each of the different buildings, each constructed in full harmony with the surrounding nature built by more than 15,000 artisans.
Don't forget to enjoy the view on your way to Lake Chuzenji. This scenic lake was created about 20,000 years ago after an eruption of Mount Nantai, the sacred volcano of Nikko.
Next up, it's Kegon Falls. One of Japan's three great waterfalls, Kegon Falls towers an impressive 97 meters and gushes water from Lake Chuzenji. Admire the waterfall from the observation deck facing the falls or, for a small fee, take the elevator 100m down to another platform for even more spectacular views.
Here you can buy local ceramics, hailing from the neighbouring town of Mashiko, which is famous for such products.
After a day full of sightseeing, the tour ends near Shinjuku Station West Exit.
Length: One day (11 hours)
Visiting places: Nikko Toshogu shrine, Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji
Departing from: Tokyo
Price: EUR 160,- (learn more about prices)
- The tour may be cancelled if the minimum number of participants (1) is not achieved 4 days before the scheduled start date.
- Traffic disruption due to falling leaves is predicted between October and November, as a result Kegon Falls, and Lake Chuzenji will be replaced with an alternative destination.
- In the event of traffic or weather disruption, Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji will be replaced with alternative destinations.
- Refunds cannot be issued in the event of destination changes.
- Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, the order of activities and arrival times may vary.
- The meeting point is the JTB Sunrise Tours Sales Office on the 3rd Floor of Keio Plaza Hotel
- Customers who do not arrive on time will have their reservations cancelled.
- Vegetarian options are available for those who request them in advance.
- This tour is free for children 5 years old and younger however they will not have designated seats, nor will they be provided with lunch.
- Children can be booked on the tour at a special rate guaranteeing them a seat on the bus and lunch.
- Nikko Toshogu Shrine admission fee
- Transportation costs