Kyoto Essentials Tour - Japanspecialist
Learn all about Kyoto’s most important sights in one morning.
This sightseeing tour is ideal for first-time visitors in Kyoto. You'll visit the World Heritage Sites of Nijo castle, followed by a visit to the pure gold leaf covered Kinkaku-ji temple. The tour finishes with a visit to the Kyoto Imperial Palace, the Emperor's residence until about 150 years ago.
You'll meet your guide at Avanti's Sunrise Tours Desk (across from Kyoto Station Hachijo Exit). Transportation on this tour is generally by bus, but depending on the number of participants, a sedan or taxi van may be used instead.
You'll start by visiting the Nijo Castle built at the beginning of the 17th century as the Kyoto residence of the Tokugawa shogun, which later became a palladium of the Kyoto Imperial Palace. Now it's a World Heritage-recognized location with great examples of feudal castle palace architecture.
Don’t leave Kyoto without a photo of you with the Golden Pavilion in the background. This gold-leaf covered architectural masterpiece is a World Heritage site and icon of Kyoto.
Here you will learn a lot about the history of Japan, and Kyoto's history as the capital of Japan. The Kyoto Imperial palace was the former ruling palace of the Emperor until about 150 years ago.
When the Kyoto Imperial Palace is closed, the tour heads to Kitano Tenmangu Shrine instead. This Shinto shrine is famous for housing the god of scholarship, and is popular among students who come to pray for success in their studies.
The shrine is especially worth a visit during the plum blossom in the spring and autumn season to enjoy the beauty of hundreds of maple trees in their red and orange glory.
Guests can continue on from here independently.
Customise this tour with one of our travel consultants today!
We believe that every trip to Japan should be unique, comfortable, and full of memories that last a lifetime. Our experienced travel consultants are available to help you create your dream holiday.
Length: Half day (4.5 hours)
Visiting places: Nijo Castle, Kinkaku-ji Temple, Kyoto Imperial Palace
Departing from: Kyoto
Price: EUR 70,-
- If the Kyoto Imperial Palace is closed (Mondays, Tuesday if Monday is a national holiday, May 14-17 for the Aoi Festival, New Year's holidays, and whenever there is an Imperial Household event) the tour will visit Kitano Tenmangu Shrine.
- On January 25 and October 25 the tour will visit Nishi Hongan-ji Temple instead of Kitano Tenmangu Shrine.
- Nijo Castle is closed on Tuesdays (and Wednesdays if Tuesday is a national holiday) in January, July, August, and December. An alternative destination is Ryoan-ji Temple.
- After sightseeing at Kyoto Imperial Palace, the bus will stop by the lunch venue for the 1-day tour. After that, participants will be dropped off at Kyoto Station.
- Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, the order of activities and arrival times may vary.
- A sedan or taxi van may be used instead of a bus, depending on the number of attendees.
- Meeting point is the Sunrise Tours Desk inside Avanti (across from Kyoto Station Hachijo Exit) at 8:20
- Admission fees
- Transportation costs
- Drop-off service