Island of Art Tour - Japanspecialist
Discover Naoshima, the “Island of Art”, with this one day trip from Osaka.
Naoshima is a picturesque island located in the Seto Inland Sea, between the islands of Honshū and Shikoku. Home to world-famous galleries and contemporary art exhibitions, in Naoshima, you'll discover the contemporary face of Japanese culture. This tour showcases the country's incredible capacity to understand, integrate and assimilate international influence with local culture.
You'll meet your guide at Hotel Granvia Osaka. Please arrive 10 minutes before the departure time with your voucher. From Hotel Granvia Osaka, you'll walk to the station to board your train.
To get to Naoshima, you'll take the Shinkansen Hikari from Shin-Osaka Station to Okayama Station. The journey takes 60 minutes and you will have a reserved seat.
You'll switch to the JR Local train at Okayama Station and travel to Uno Station with a transfer at Chayamachi Station midway. From Uno Port you will take a boat to Miyanoura Port then board the Naoshima minibus to the Chichu Art Museum.
The first stop is Chichu Art Museum. Built in 2004 and designed by Japanese architect Tadao Ando, most of the museum is underground to avoid damaging Setouchi's breathtaking scenery.
Inside the museum, you'll discover artworks by James Turrell, Walter De Mara and Claude Monet. The museum's natural light changes throughout the day, so interior and artworks appear different depending on the time of your visit.
You may take lunch at any point during your visit. We recommend buying food in advance. From the Chichu Art Museum, you will board the Benesse Art Site Naoshima shuttle bus to Tsutsujiso where you will transfer to the Naoshima minibus to visit Miyanoura.
Here you can discover Naoshima's most famous sites, including the Naoshima Pavilion, Yayoi Kusama pumpkin, and the Bunraku Puppet of José de Guimarães.
You'll depart from Naoshima’s Miyanoura Port to Uno Port by boat and continue towards Shin-Osaka on the same route you came.
The tour finishes at Shin-Osaka Station, from where you will make your own way to your next destination.
Customise this tour with one of our travel consultants today!
We believe that every trip to Japan should be unique, comfortable, and full of memories that last a lifetime. Our experienced travel consultants are available to help you create your dream holiday.
Length: One day (12 hours)
Visiting places: Chichu Art Museum, Miyanoura Port
Departing from: Osaka
Price: EUR 210,-
- The tour may be cancelled if the minimum number of participants (4) is not achieved 7 days before the scheduled start date.
- In addition to the Shinkansen, public transportation will be used, and seats cannot be guaranteed.
- Departure times for the Shinkansen, train, and ferry are fixed and may vary due to schedule changes.
- Certain tour dates may be cancelled, or tour operations may be halted entirely, depending on operational circumstances.
- Benesse House Museum may be visited instead of Chichu Art Museum if the latter is closed or at full capacity. In the event of such a change, a refund of JPY 1,050 per adult will be made. Refunds are not given for children.
- Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, the order of activities and arrival times may vary.
- Please wear suitable clothing and shoes for this trip.
- Please note that this tour involves several transfers and modes of transport.
- Admission fees and transportation costs