Ghibli Museum and Bus Tour - Japanspecialist
Step into the magical world of Studio Ghibli.
Discover the fascinating and colourful history of the internationally renowned Studio Ghibli on this animation-themed tour.
You’ll begin with a buffet lunch at the historical Gajoen Tokyo hotel, the inspiration for Hayao Miyazaki's movie "Spirited Away".
In the afternoon, you'll visit the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum, where you'll see buildings that have long inspired Miyazaki and his studio. Finally, you will end with the famous Ghibli Museum, where you will have two and a half hours to explore independently at your own pace and soak up the Ghibli magic. There's no need to wait in long ticket lines as admission is included.
The tour meets at JTB Sunrise Tours Sales Office on the 3rd Floor of Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo's Main Tower in Shinjuku. Please arrive 10 minutes before the starting time with your voucher. You will then transfer to your bus.
Welcome to the Hotel Gajoen Tokyo, a Ghibli icon. The beautiful hotel lobby inspired Miyazaki’s film "Spirited Away". Take a picture of the famous red entrance before enjoying a buffet lunch. After lunch, you'll move to the next destination.
Start your afternoon with the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum; an outdoor museum dedicated to historic structures with the major cultural significance representative of the Edo and Showa periods.
The museum is essentially a small village where you can walk and see old teahouses, onsen, and the private residential homes of Japanese legends. Here you'll feel the atmosphere of Ghibli movies as Miyazaki and his colleagues are said to have taken inspiration here.
Continue the visit with the visit of the famous Ghibli Museum, where you can witness a huge selection of exhibits, including insights into how the animations are made and witness an exclusive short animated Ghibli original feature that can only be seen at the museum. Here you will have two and a half hours to explore at your own pace. Don't forget to go on the rooftop to see the robot from the movie "Laputa: Castle in the Sky."
The tour ends at the arrival at Shinjuku Station where you will be dropped off by bus.
Length: One day (7 hours)
Visiting places: Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum, Ghibli Museum
Departing from: Tokyo
Price: EUR 120,- (learn more about prices)
- The tour may be cancelled if the minimum number of participants (1) is not achieved 4 days before the scheduled start date.
- If the Ghibli Museum is closed due to unforeseen circumstances the tour will be cancelled.
- In the event Hotel Gajoen Tokyo or Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum are closed alternative destinations will be provided. Refunds cannot be provided.
- It is not possible to join the tour at any other point aside from the original meeting place. Participants can leave the tour midway at the Ghibli Museum if they wish and make their own way on to their next destination.
- Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, the order of activities and arrival times may vary.
- The National Government Licensed Guide Interpreter does not provide guidance inside Ghibli Museum. After arriving at Ghibli Museum, participants will have time to walk freely through the museum once entrance procedures are finished.
- Prams are not permitted access to the Ghibli Museum.
- Children 3 years old and younger may join the tour, but they will not be provided with bus seats or meals.
- If meals cannot be supplied at Hotel Gajoen Tokyo the venue will be changed.
- Vegetarian options are not available.
- Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum is closed on Mondays. (Open if Monday is a holiday.) In such cases, the tour will visit Jindai-ji Temple or Takahata Fudoson Temple instead.
- Entrance fee